Aloo Matar, Potatoes Pea Curry

I am not really into Chinese New Year cooking this year, so it is regular posting of everyday cooking for me.

This is a dish I have been wanting to cook at home after seeing it a few times over the Internet. Knowing the main ingredients: Potato (Aloo) and Peas (Matar), and armed with the spices I typically used for Aloo Gobi, I made my own version of Aloo Matar without following any particular recipe.If you have cooked this dish before, let me know if I got it right. It tastes rightfully delicious to me.Yummy!

Aloo Matar (Potatoes and Pea Curry)
Ingredients: 1/4 red onion, finely diced; 1 clove garlic, finely minced; 1/2 tsp minced ginger; 1 russet potato, boiled, peeled, then cubed; 1/2 - 1 cup of peas (Note: I use frozen peas, thawed); 1/4 tomato, thinly sliced; pinch of cumin and fennel seeds; 2 tsp curry powder, dash of ground turmeric, ground coriander, red pepper powder; pinch of salt and pepper to taste; cilantro to garnish

Directions: Heat up some butter in a pan and toast the cumin and fennel seeds. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and saute then the onions are slightly tender. Then add the curry powder, turmeric, coriander, red pepper powder; followed by tomatoes and combine well in the pan. Add 1 tbsp of water and allow the simmer till the onions are completely tender and soft. Simmer at low heat till the mixture is slightly thickened. Add the potato cubes, then peas, and combine gently in the pot. Make sure the potatoes and peas are combined thoroughly with the slightly thick gravy. Salt and pepper to taste and finally add cilantro to garnish (or combine with the mixture if you prefer)



I'm sharing this with My Meatless Mondays, Hearth and Soul, Friday Potluck and Veggie Fruit of the Month-Potato event.

Certified Yummly Recipes on Yummly.com
for World Vegetarian Day

Tag: , ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook